Fazio's: The Walking Slice

Displaying File_000.jpeg
Bushwick, Ridgewood, the word is out. Fazio’s is the place to go. It’s just on the cusp of hipster while still staying true to the whole Brooklyn/Queens OG spot to get a slice.


Fazio's isn’t open late comparatively. It’s only open until 11, or midnight on weekends, but the pizza is fresh whenever I visit. They dedicate the bulk of their display case to the square slice and with good reason. For just three bucks for a Sicilian slice, this is not only one of the best deals in the five boroughs, it’s also amazing pizza.


The sauce is fresh and tastes like it should. Not too sweet, not too acidic, just tomatoey. Is that a word? I guess it is because google isn’t giving it the little red squiggly line. Yeah, it’s good. It’s definitely from a can, which is fine and honestly what I would use in the same situation. Fuck rendering a tomato, let alone a hundred or a thousand; however many it takes to run a pizzeria. Also, it’s worth giving the thin crust some credit. After a measly two minutes in their oven, which I have to imagine runs at around 500F, it crisps right up and can take on the weight of the sauce and cheese.


The star of the show is the thick Sicilian crust. It’s crispy on the bottom and soft on the top. There’s no awkward dry transition in between, it just goes right from crispy to doughy. I prefer it that way, and you should too. It’s heavy, sure, but not in an undercooked kind of way. It’s more like a marriage of the wet toppings and dry heat. I try to focus on the regular slice, but the walkability and extraordinary flavor of the thick crust makes it worth mentioning.

Should you go out of your way to try this spot? Yes! The staff is awesome. The atmosphere is fitting and not overbearing with the “new restaurant in developing Bushwick” motif. Also, it’s my neighborhood spot. For that, I’m thankful. It’s better than you might expect. I watch the pizzaiolo at work and his management of the dough is nothing short of expertise. Just don’t be too weird about watching them make the pizza, I can tell I’ve been making them nervous.

Comments